I am very pleased to now be able to offer a new therapy that can speed up the healing and resolution of many skin conditions where there is infection and damage to the skin. This innovative new technology works in a similar way to infra red laser therapy but is much simpler to use.
It involves the use of a powerful LED lamp that emits a blue light that when it comes in contact with a special chromophore gel applied to the skin, results in the emission of powerful fluorescent light that has several physiological actions. Studies have shown that use of this light in conjunction with the topical chromophore gel can modulate inflammatory mediators such as Tumour Necrosis Factor- α , Interleukin -6 and stimulate growth factors such as Transforming Growth Factor-β , Fibroblast Factor , Platelet-DerivedGrowth Factor and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor. This can result in faster healing times when the skin is damaged by infection.
The fluorescent light produced by this interaction is of several wavelengths:
1, Blue wavelengths penetrate to 1mm, targeting bacteria and reducing microbe-induced epidermal inflammation.
2. Green wavelengths penetrate to a depth of 0.5-2mm, targeting fibroblasts and driving keratinocyte proliferation.
3. Yellow wavelengths penetrate down to 2mm, reducing inflammation and improving perfusion.
5. The long red wavelengths penetrate best of all, potentially as far as 6mm. They stimulate angiogenesis and reduce inflammation, stimulate ATP production as well as promoting additional collagen synthesis, leading to more rapid wound stabilisation.
There have been several studies showing this system to be of particular use when treating cases of skin infection that often require prolonged courses of antibiotics, such as deep pyoderma, Geman Shepherd Dog Pyoderma, Perianal fistulae (Anal Furunculosis), Acral Lick Dermatitis (Lick Granulomas) and Chronic Pododermatitis-Furunculosis (Interdigital Pyoderma or Interdigital “Cysts”). Due to the risks of giving long courses of antibiotics, the most important being the development of antibiotic resistance (which is becoming increasingly more common), any additional therapies that can speed up the resolution of case with chronic infection are to be welcomed.
One of the most common conditions that I will be using this innovative therapy is in the treatment of Chronic Pododermatitis-Furunculosis . A recent paper was published showing the increased speed of resolution of this condition when comparing the use of antibiotics only or antibiotics in conjunction with Fluorescent Biomodulation.
Original papers were based on two sessions a week, but more recent papers have shown little difference between once and twice-weekly treatment ( however the second treatment is given on the same day a couple of minutes after the first). Phovia.-Canine-interdigital-furunculosis-once-weekly.-Marchegiani-2022
As well as using the lamp for pododermatitis cases, I will be offering it, for the treatment of a variety of infections/non-healing wounds, including acral lick dermatitis, deep pyoderma, and I will be looking at its use in the treatment of Otitis, although it will only be able to effectively treat the pinna and upper ear canal (the manufacturers are looking at the possibility of making an LED “wand” that can get inside the ear canal, but it would not be able to get inside stenotic ear canals -these cases may benefit from infra-red laser therapy).
What is involved?
- The area to be treated is cleaned.
- The treatment areas is covered by an approximately 2 mm thick layer of the special chromophore gel.
- The Phovia lamp is placed over the treatment area at an approximately 5cm distance and the light is switched on. It is programmed to stay on for 2 minutes. A second therapy can be given after a two-minute gap.
- The gel is wiped off the skin with cotton wool/swabs soaked in saline.
- Phovia Owner Pamplet
For a dog with all 4 feet needing therapy with the lamp, the whole process will take around 30 minutes . Treatments are continued weekly until resolution.
The minimum cost for a session is £58 for a single area as it has to pay for the cost of the gel which once activated, has to be used up on the same day before it loses its effectiveness. When treating all four feet, which is 4 x double sessions the cost would be around £142.