At Dermvet we are experts at correctly diagnosing and treating skin issues such as Canine Atopic Dermatitis. Whilst we cannot cure it, what we can do is recognise the symptoms and offer various treatments such as:
- Effective and cheap drug therapy such as steroids, however they can come with side effects
- Antihistamines rarely help and essential fatty acids are a good option but only as an adjunctive treatment
- Antibiotics and antifungals may need to be prescribed throughout the dogs’ life
- Topical therapy such as a permanent programme of flea control is necessary
- Allergen specific immunotherapy can reduce the symptoms by at least 50% and in some cases 100%
- Monoclonal antibody Lokivetmab (Cytopoint) is another option. Created specifically for the treatment of atopic dermatitis, it can be used alongside other treatments and can help to reduce itching and dermatitis
If you’d like to book an appointment with our friendly and welcoming team, you can call us on 0116 326 0402.